Friday, December 2, 2016

Nick Clatterbuck

Nick Clatterbuck was a 15-year-old juvenile, who was living in a foster home with his foster parents and their children in Utah County. On February 28, 1984, Clatterbuck had some disagreements with the foster parents, resulting in Clatterbuck shooting the foster father 16 times, killing him. He then proceeded to shoot the foster mother several times and stabbed her, resulting in her death. The state decided to prosecute Clatterbuck as an adult. Clatterbuck was represented by attorney Michael D. Esplin throughout the juvenile court process where it was determined that he should be tried as an adult in the adult court system. He appealed this determination through the Utah Supreme Court, but his appeal was denied and it was ruled once again that he could be tried as an adult. The state charged Clatterbuck with capital homicide charges, which carried the death penalty. Esplin represented Clatterbuck in those proceedings, which ultimately resulted in a plea deal, where the death penalty was taken off the table, and Clatterbuck pleaded to two homicide charges resulting in a sentence of 5 to life in the Utah State Prison.

2 comments:

  1. this guy was 15. let him out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick was sweet on me just before these killings.
    He asked if he could walk me home and did so a few times.
    He gave me small gifts and the last time I saw him he asked for a respectful kiss on the lips, which I gave him.
    We were in junior high.
    He was gone shortly after that, never to be seen or discussed by my school again.
    When I asked why Nick was absent nobody would tell me why and told me to forget about him ��
    I had no idea what happened until I was in my late 30's and saw the info on the internet when I attempted to find him on fb.
    He was sweet, and I wonder if his foster family was abusing him and this is why he killed them.
    I have no idea why he did this but I didn't feel unsafe in his company.

    ReplyDelete