Friday, May 23, 2014

adam torres

one of the characters on Degrassi is Adam Torres who is a transgender character. every day his reflection was someone he didn't know. finally his mom and step-dad allow him to transition into who he thinks he is. his mom still sees him as a girl. I think a lot of kids (not just trans kids) go through the "who am I? why am I hiding my true identity?" phase. it isn't uncommon since I went through that. Adam is loyal and sarcastic. he has other qualities that make him who he is and I'm glad we can look past him being transgender. what if we all looked past the main characteristic of us and focused on our positive qualities? wouldn't it be a better world if we did that? Adam is by far my favorite character on the show. one reason is because he is relatable. Adam tried hiding his FtM secret. in "my body is a cage" part 1 and 2 we see the struggle of being different for anything. I had a secret I wanted to be hidden. I was diabetic and struggling with it. it's not that weird having a secret people want to hide. Zoe Riveras is dyslexic and wanted to hide it. when we see Adam try to be his birth (and legal) name and gender Drew realized this is detrimental to Adam's health (mentally and physically). he self-harmed as his birth gender as a way of letting the anger out. Adam thought it would be easier if he went by that but he found strength to be who he truly is. when I found the strength to accept my diabetes and be who I am, from team handball. they were my friends and made sure they can help me. during the senior game I was playing badly and everyone made sure I happened to be my person who I am. I don't know if I am a "girly girl" or a "tomboy" because I know how to be girly but I also know how to give a dig, a noogie, a wet Willie and a wedgie. apparently, someone in my ASL class says those things are "important life skills".I have 3 brothers. that's probably why I know those things. I'm probably somewhere in the middle. Clare asked if Adam knew the difference between being transgender and a tomboy or lesbian as his reasons for not being a girl is "I hated wearing dresses and having long hair." he said he's known since he was 4 or 5 he was meant to be a boy. some people say people "just know" as their explanation for things and that's what Adam's explanation for that. one of my friends say, "I'm a cross between a girly girl and a tomboy." one of my coaches says I'm a girly girl and another says I'm a tomboy. that's why I asked my friends. I'm happy I happened to have those "important life skills".on thing is that I have those are cool. I love Adam since he's relatable. my friend did a project and mentioned a character on Degrassi and I happened to help her with it and I'm glad to be happy to help her. something I'm very happy about the Degrassi show is it has sensitive issue like the transgender thing. I'm very glad my friends were supportive.

No comments:

Post a Comment